Intern at Indy Hostel
We need 2-3 Operations and Events Interns per season
- Become proficient in Backpack software in order to manage check ins and departures
- Check in guests and assist with questions
- Participate in housekeeping rotations
- Help schedule and manage events at the hostel including art and music events
- Attend, photograph, and write blogs about the events held at the hostel and important events in the community when necessary
- Maintain communications between local businesses and the hostel
- Possibly attend neighborhood association and other community meetings
- Aid in compiling package deals with area businesses
- Other duties as assigned, including individual projects that each intern will be responsible for
Requirements for all positions:
- Needs to have interest in Lodging and Event Management
- Current enrollment in institute of higher learning or recent graduate with a major relating to tourism, hospitality, event management, or other applicable area of study.
- Excellent communication, organization, customer service and attention to detail.
- At least one strong reference.
- Each internship will last 3 months with flexible start and end dates depending upon university requirements.
- A minimum of 240 total work hours at about 20 hours per week is required for each intern.
If this looks like the perfect position for you, send us an email at email@example.com!
Hear from our Previous Interns!
I interned with the Indy Hostel during my final semester at Ball State University as a travel & tourism major. I couldn't have asked for a better internship experience. This internship offered constant opportunities for experience, involvement, and independent projects. My internship help prepare me for my current position working full time at a hotel. I gained hospitality industry experience, and also had a chance to work on creative projects. Every day is a new experience meeting guests from around the world. I recommend this internship to anyone in the hospitality and travel industry.
Erika (Spring 2014)
Working at the Indy Hostel over the past summer was easily one of the best work experiences I've had so far. Every since I started, I quickly realized I was surrounded by a hard working and dedicated staff that really strived to make the Hostel a better place each and every day. I learned about all about the ins and outs of hospitality through learning their booking database, checking in and out guests from around the world upon their daily arrival, and typical cleaning duties that ensured each guest had a comfortable stay. My favorite part of the internship program was working with the rest of the staff and local volunteers to put on the Indy Hostel's annual Folk Festival in August. I made invaluable connections throughout the Broad Ripple and Indianapolis community while on the search for local sponsors and vendors for the event. Promoting local artists and musicians was such a fun experience and the Festival was a huge success. Because of my experience here, I now know I want to get involved with more event management, digital media promotion and marketing through my studies in Telecommunications and Psychology at Indiana University.
Chelsea (Spring 2014)
My name is Chelsea Garland and I am currently a senior at IUPUI. My major is Tourism, Convention, and Event Management. I interned at Indy Hostel during summer 2014. I had such a great and unique experience here! I was meeting new people from all over the world on a daily basis. It was so interesting and exciting to communicate with people from such a wide array of backgrounds. The main task that I worked on outside of my daily responsibilities was focused on planning the Folk Fest. This was by far the most beneficial part of my internship. I worked on making community connections and recruiting sponsors. Planning the Folk Fest took all summer long and really helped me build solid relationships with all of the hostel employees and volunteers! I have continued to volunteer with Indy Hostel since my internship has ended and have loved every second of it. Before my internship, I wanted to go into wedding planning after graduation, but since my internship I have also considered going into event planning within the music industry or working with non-profits. I highly recommend Indy Hostel to anyone looking for a one of a kind experience!